Pages

Friday 29 December 2017

Summer Learning Journey!

Kia Ora Bloggers,

Hope you are all having an amazing summer holidays ! Here is some work I did for the summer learning journey! Enjoy!


Maui
3 facts
Maui is the youngest and smartest brother of the 5 brothers. He is the most valuable because  he know how to hunt like a pro!

When Maui was born he was told to be not breathing. His mother had really long hair, she cut her hair and made it short. She wrapped poor baby Maui in her hair set him off into the ocean. There he floated to a man who trained him and made him into a great big strong hero. Maui set of to find his family.


Maui's mother ad never thought Maui would ever return but he did and she was shocked to hear this news. Maui's brothers were really jealous that Maui had the spotlight on him and he was treated like the favorite!

Some of Maui's Stories
Maui - This story is about how Maui was born and how he was trained
Maui and the sun- This is about how Maui and his brothers slowed the sun
Maui and the giant fish - This is about how the North Island was made
How Maui brought fire to the world - This one is a special one because it explains how we have fire right now
Maui and the Jawbone - This is a classic story about Maui's grandfathers jawbone

Activity 2

Dear Taylor,

I have set of to a country called 'New Zealand' in a waka (boat) with many other people. I feel really nervous leaving and still do as I am writing this letter. This voyage is very far away from were I live and I can't wait to get to New Zealand. I wish you the best for the rest of the time being and I'll write back to you to tell you about New Zealand!

Kind Regards,
Shreya

Bonus
Waka Ama


I would love to be part Waka Ama because I have tried this activity before and it was really fun. The paddling was probably the hardest because of the waves. Waka Ama seems like a great sport for your muscles and a great life skill. I would love to do this as a sport! 

3 comments:

  1. Hey there Shreya, my name is Billy and I am from the Summer Learning Journey programme. It's great to see that you are working hard and blogging during your summer holidays.

    Thanks for posting three facts about Maui, especially a couple I didn't know about. You seem to have read a lot of his stories. I really like the story about Maui and how he discovered fire. He's very cheeky in that story. What would you say your favourite is?

    I've enjoyed reading your letter to Taylor too. I like how you talk about feeling nervous about the journey. It must have been so scary for the first travellers - not quite knowing where they were going and if they would make it. What do you think they did when they first arrived in New Zealand?

    It's great to read that you are keen to try Waka Ama and give it another go. I think you're right about it being a tough sport on your muscles.
    Do you play any other sports?

    Thanks, great blogging.

    Billy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Billy,

      Thank you for leaving me a comment! Most people don't know much about Maui but I do because at primary we used to always learn about him and his history. Yes, I love reading legends about Maui because they are very hooking and very interesting. My favorite legend would probably have to be the one about how he was brought to life.


      I found out so much about the history and how the first travellers were brought here. I think that they would be very nervous to move to a country not knowing much about it. I think that when they first arrived they first unpacked and looked around.

      Yes, I play soccer and netball sometimes softball but not always. I like to play these sports because it's something my family and I like .

      Blog you later,
      Shreya

      Delete
  2. Jumbo Shreya

    Activity 1:
    You’ve shared some great facts about Māui, I liked that you included some of what you learned from other stories. Perhaps next time you include a picture of Māui, I’m sure readers would love to see the man behind the myths.

    Thank you for sharing those additional Māui tales. I personally really like Māui and the Sun because Māui proved how much of a brave warrior he was by going against the sun. What is your favourite Māui tale and why?

    Activity 2:
    You have written a brief but personal letter to a friend, perhaps next time you could add a bit more details about the voyage itself. Think about the things you’d see on your journey on a Waka. What sights did you see?

    If I wrote a letter to a close friend, I’d definitely tell them about the cold nights and rough seas, as well as the blazing heat of the sun beating down us during the day. I know I wouldn’t have enjoyed the voyage at all!

    Bonus Activity:
    That’s cool that you’ve tried paddling a waka before. That would definitely be a plus when deciding whether or not you’d like to be a part Waka Ama because you understand how much work it is.

    I agree that it’s a great sport for your muscles, I think it’d be good for boosting stamina too! If you could compete in a Waka Ama race anywhere in the world, where would you go? I’d choose to compete in the Waikato River, because the scenery is stunning!

    Just a reminder that you have a few days to complete as many activities as you can before the Summer Learning Journey programme ends on the 26th of January.

    I look forward to seeing more of your blog posts!

    Toe feiloa’i fo’i,

    Cia.

    ReplyDelete